It’s one of the worst things that can happen…
You invest time and effort to grow a successful carpet cleaning business. You build a roster of regular clients. You may even have an employee or two.
Then disaster strikes!
A low-priced competitor opens up in your area. They undercut your quotes, steal your customers, start driving you out of business.
Before you know it, cashflow becomes a problem. Unpaid bills stack up, and then…
The good news is that it doesn’t have to be that way.
There is a strategy that can help protect your business against cheap competition.
This strategy can safeguard your financial future, clearly demonstrate your value, and help you to avoid competing on price.
Sounds like a big promise, yes? But let me tell you a story, so you can see a real life example of how powerful it is.
Back in the 1960s, two college students started a Pizza place in the US.
The students wanted to pay their way through college by selling pizza. But after 12 months, they were losing money.
One of the students abandoned the business. The remaining partner however, refused to quit.
Instead, he used the strategy you are about to discover.
The strategy is called a Unique Selling Proposition.
It is a single sentence that describes why people should choose your business over any and all competition.
It’s your competitive advantage… your ‘why’… the reason people should pay more money to use your service.
In the story, the Unique Selling Proposition the student created was “Fresh, Hot Pizza Delivered In 30 Minutes Or Less, Guaranteed.”
And it was so powerful that today ‘Domino’s Pizza’ is one of the most successful franchises in history.
The question is: What’s your Unique Selling Proposition? In today’s task we will work on helping you to find it…
TODAY’S TASK: Develop A Unique Selling Proposition
- Grab a notebook and something to write with
- Visit the websites or look at the ads of other carpet cleaners in your area. List all the benefits they offer. For example, non-toxic chemicals, low prices, eliminating nasty smells. This is List 1.
- Now look at your business. Write down all the benefits you offer. For example, a guarantee, faster service, better cleaning, a loyalty program, referral rewards. This is List 2.
- Next, ask your existing customers why they choose your business instead of your competition. Have them complete a quick paper survey while you’re cleaning their carpet, or send them a short email asking for feedback after the service, emphasising the importance of their response in continuing to provide them with superior service. This is List 3.
- Look at the three lists you have created. Your USP is the benefit that:
- Your competition doesn’t offer (i.e. It is not on List 1)
- You do offer (i.e. It is on List 2)
- Your customers want. (i.e. It is on List 3)
Please Note: “Low prices” is a terrible USP, so don’t use this. You’ll find out why later in the program.Rewrite the USP in the following form and you are done…
6. You get (benefit) when you choose our carpet cleaning service because (reason)
Example: You can feel confident that your carpets will look like new when you chose our carpet cleaning service because we guarantee it.
If you can create a compelling USP that sets you apart from the lower-priced competitors in your area, you will position your business as the only choice for prospects, improving client loyalty and increasing repeat business.