In today’s lesson, I want to talk about garbage…
Not the kind you toss in the trash. But mental garbage – the incorrect or inaccurate thoughts or ideas we have picked up during our lives, which we believe are true.
These thoughts and beliefs can affect our behaviours and actions in a negative way.
So it’s vital to identify them if you want to reach your full potential.
Here are some examples…
- You have to work harder to succeed. This is false because working harder will not be effective unless you work harder at the right strategies.
You can bang your head against a brick wall for years and never make a dent. Or you can use a different strategy, buy a jackhammer, and smash the wall to bits in a few minutes.
- If you’re good at what you do, you’ll have plenty of clients. This is another false belief that holds carpet cleaners back.
Yes, if you are good at what you do, you will get referrals. But in order to get a steady stream of customers, you also need to be knowledgeable about marketing.
- You marketing material has to look like a corporation. This is false because people buy from people.
As a small business owner, it’s better to make your marketing material more personal. Sure, some clueless people will make fun of your ads. But you will have the last laugh when you look at your bank balance.
These are just a few examples to get you started. To find out what garbage is holding you back, let’s look at today’s task…
TODAY’S TASK: Get Rid of Your Mental Garbage
In today’s task, you will learn how to remove mental garbage from your thinking.
- Write out a list of things you want for your business. For example, “I want to get 20 new clients”.
- List why you don’t think you can achieve that goal. Be honest here and include everything you can think of.
- I don’t know how to get started.
- I’m not smart enough
- I don’t know how to get clients.
3. Make a note beside each item on the list. State whether they are mental garbage or something you can take action on to deal with now.
- I don’t know how to get started. ACTION: Follow the steps in this program
- I’m not smart enough. ACTION: This is a mental garbage. You have no proof of this.
- I don’t know how to get clients. ACTION: Follow the steps in this program.