After more than two decades dealing with clients and customers, I can tell you one thing for a fact.
People hate being sold.
They absolutely hate it… and as soon as someone feels like they are being pitched a service, their guard immediately goes up.
Obviously, this puts you in an unfortunate position because you need to sell your service to make money.
So what can you do?
The answer is to position yourself as an expert offering advice instead of as a salesperson.
If you come across as a salesperson, people will question everything that comes out of your mouth. They will assume you are trying to make money from them.
But as an expert, people trust you. They will come to you with a problem and you can offer the solution. They will take your advice seriously and do what you say.
So how can you become an expert? That’s what we will look at in today’s task.
TODAY’S TASK: How To Become An Expert
One of the most effective methods I know to become an expert is to write reports full of valuable information.
Here’s how to do that…
- Write down a list of ideas that you think potential clients will be interested in. For example:
- 3 things you need to do to make your carpet look like new
- 4 ways to make your carpet last twice as long
- The one question you must ask a carpet cleaner to avoid getting ripped off.
- Make a recording of yourself talking about these ideas. Or you can interview an expert on that topic. Then get a transcriptionist (check out services like www.rev.com) to turn the recording into a word document.
- Give the document an intriguing title. Tidy up the sentences that sound strange.
- Offer your report free to potential clients. You can put it on your website using a software like LeadPages. You can place it on Facebook or even in your newsletter.
- When prospects request the report, ask them for an email address. Then send them follow up emails with other useful tips and also special offers for your service.